Voice of Experience: Cold Front on the Chesapeake

“Wake up! Wake up! I think we’re dragging anchor!” Peg’s words pierced my sleep like a needle popping a balloon. In an instant I was standing in the cockpit, face to face with the bowsprit of a large Island Packet that had been anchored three football fields away the night before.
Author:
Publish date:
VOEChesapeake2_0

“Wake up! Wake up! I think we’re dragging anchor!”

Peg’s words pierced my sleep like a needle popping a balloon. In an instant I was standing in the cockpit, face to face with the bowsprit of a large Island Packet that had been anchored three football fields away the night before.

I knew immediately it wasn’t the Island Packet that had dragged. Our seemingly well-set anchor and the extra rode we’d put out had failed us; fortunately Peg felt the boat moving at daybreak before any harm was done. I quickly tugged the starter cord on our Sailmaster outboard and snapped it into gear. I then handed Peg the tiller and told her to motor into the wind while I gathered in the anchor rode and our impotent mud-clogged Danforth.

NOAA’s weekend forecast for the upper Chesapeake Bay that Friday had called for sunny, warm conditions with southwesterly winds at 5 to 10 knots and seas of less than a foot. Perfect conditions, I thought, to sail Tackful, our 25-foot Catalina Capri, from our home port of Havre de Grace, Maryland, down the bay for an overnight at Worten Creek, a round trip of about 45 miles.

Saturday was not disappointing. With 10 knots of wind on her starboard beam, Tackful sliced through the almost-flat water at hull speed. Riding an outgoing tide, we arrived at our destination hours ahead of schedule, so we continued sailing on the bay before heading back to Worten Creek for a special meal ashore—medium rare tenderloins, baked potatoes and the best homemade coleslaw on the Chesapeake (an old Delmarva recipe).

After a couple of sundowners in the cockpit, Peg and I were ready to turn in, but first we listened to the latest weather. Surprisingly, NOAA had changed its forecast for Sunday and was now predicting the wind would rise to 20 knots as a weak, fast-moving cold front passed through the area late Sunday afternoon.

While not overly concerned, I promised Peg we’d get an early start for home and that I’d reduce sail before the stronger winds hit. With that reassurance, we both fell fast asleep in minutes.

 On a calmer day. Photo by L. Alan Keene

On a calmer day. Photo by L. Alan Keene

Then came my abrupt awakening on Sunday morning. “Let’s go anchor where we were,” I called back to Peg after I’d washed the last remnants of mud from the flukes of our Danforth.

“Why don’t we just start for home now?” she yelled back. “We don’t want to get caught in those stronger winds this afternoon. Okay?”

“We can, I guess, but we don’t have to rush that much!”

“Please!” she cried. “We can eat some cereal after we get started.”

Giving in to my wife’s pleading, as I had so often done before, I stowed the anchor, took over the helm and waited for my heart rate to return to normal.

What greeted us as we nosed out into the bay was a westerly breeze that seemed every bit as strong as the 20 knots that NOAA had predicted. Since we both needed to get back for work on Monday and the sky was clear, I convinced myself the wind would hold steady or decrease as we headed northeast toward home.

I raised the main, took in a reef and elected not to hoist a jib, as I thought even our smallest, a 110, would be hard to manage if the wind increased. Better to fight the weather helm from the main, I thought, than to have to go up on the foredeck and haul down an angry headsail.

As we sailed northwest toward Worten Point, we began to encounter whitecaps, but they were not steep. After rounding the point, we had to turn northeast, which would put the wind on our port beam. I expected this would be a little wet, but not overly demanding. How little I knew.

After we made our turn, the sustained wind held steady, but was punctuated by strong gusts that required constant vigilance. Cleating the mainsheet was no longer an option. With our feet braced to starboard, I kept my right hand wrapped around the tiller and my left on the mainsheet as we sailed off to the northeast.

After about two hours, the wind increased yet again, the seas grew larger, and our spirits fell. We donned lifejackets, reluctantly reviewed our man-overboard drill, and said a heartfelt prayer.

Once we had Still Pond Creek, an anchorage on the eastern shore, about a mile to leeward, I considered dropping the main and running for it under bare poles. But the seas had grown too large. In these conditions Tackful’s low freeboard and light displacement (barely 3,000 pounds with just 900 pounds of ballast) were a recipe for disaster. A broach or following wave might easily swamp or capsize us. “Better the devil you know,” I told myself as we pressed on.

It was now clear that Peg and I were committed to a harrowing sail home. I considered calling the Coast Guard to alert them to our plight, but decided against it. I was concerned they would feel a rescue was in order, and since we were still making headway, I still felt in control of the situation.

As we plunged onward—sometimes moving as slowly as 1.5 knots, taking water over the bow and weather rail—I briefly considered trying to start the outboard to help cut through the waves. But I was worried the seas would drown the motor in short order. Even if it did keep running, I wanted to keep it in reserve in case all else failed. Though the wind gusts were unpredictable, I felt I’d developed a rhythm that helped me spill wind from the sail in concert with the swells—a rhythm that allowed us to keep moving. 

Soaking wet and weary to the bone, we continued sailing northeast. After what seemed an eternity, we reached the halfway point of our journey, with two familiar landmarks, Betterton, Maryland, and the mouth of the Sassafras River, two miles to starboard. Our next goal was a not-yet-visible yellow can, YC “L”, which marked the restricted boundary of the Aberdeen Proving Grounds on the bay’s western shore.

At this point we needed to turn north, which would put us hard on the wind, a point of sail I dreaded. We had so far avoided a knockdown while reaching, but with the increased heeling and apparent wind of sailing closehauled, I was afraid anything could happen.

Fortunately, as we approached the western shore and YC “L” came into view, the seas fell dramatically, thanks to the reduced fetch. Even though the wind continued blowing at gale force, for the first time in eight hours I began to relax—just a little. Sailing north was not nearly as threatening as I feared, and for the first time since rounding Worten Point, Tackful began sailing at over 3 knots. Our next goal, green #3, lay just two miles ahead. 

Green #3 marks the entrance to the 4-mile-long Susquehanna Channel and has always represented home to us. If we could just make it there without a knockdown or rig failure, I thought, we’d be safe. As we continued north, skirting Aberdeen’s restricted area, we saw a large cruising sailboat making its way out the channel toward the open bay. It was the first boat—sail, power, commercial or recreational—we’d seen since leaving Worten Creek almost eight hours earlier. 

Apparently recognizing that the bay was now most inhospitable, the cruiser turned around and attempted, with little success, to motor back up the channel into the teeth of the wind. The arrival of a towboat (the second boat we had seen in eight hours) confirmed our suspicions that the cruiser’s motor was overpowered.

Fortunately, we were able to sail up the channel. After rounding green #3 and making five or six short tacks, the wind suddenly and completely died. I raised my cold, stiff, hungry body, started the motor, dropped the main and then looked into the tear-filled eyes of my first (and best) mate. We had somehow survived. Our prayers for each other’s safety had been answered.

Illustration by Steve Sanford

Related

TOTW_PromoSite

SAIL's Tip of the Week

Presented by Vetus-Maxwell. Got a tip? Send it to sailmail@sailmagazine.com No chafe, safe stay  If you’re leaving the boat unattended for a longish period, there’s a lot to be said for cow-hitching the shorelines, as this sailor did. They’ll never let go, and so long as the ...read more

belize600x

Charter Special: Belize

It would be hard to imagine a more secure spot than the Sunsail base on the outskirts of the beachside community of Placencia, Belize. The entire marina is protected by a robust seawall with a channel scarcely a few boatlengths across. It’s also located far enough up Placencia ...read more

DSC00247

DIY: a Top-to-Bottom Refit

I found my sailing “dream boat” in the spring of 1979 while racing on Lake St. Clair in Michigan. Everyone had heard about the hot new boat in town, and we were anxiously awaiting the appearance of this new Pearson 40. She made it to the starting line just before the race ...read more

01-oysteryachts-regattas-loropiana2016_063

Light-air Sails and How to Handle Them

In the second of a two-part series on light-air sails, Rupert Holmes looks at how today’s furling gear has revolutionized sail handling off the wind. Read part 1 here. It’s easy to look at long-distance racing yachts of 60ft and above with multiple downwind sails set on roller ...read more

HanseCharles

Video Tour: Hanse 348

“It’s a smaller-size Hanse cruiser, but with some big-boat features,” says SAIL’s Cruising Editor, Charles J. Doane. At last fall’s Annapolis Boat Show, Doane had a chance to take a close look at the new Hanse 348. Some of the boat’s highlights include under-deck galleries for ...read more

amalfitown

Charter Destination: Amalfi Coast

Prego! Weeks after returning from our Italian flotilla trip last summer, I was still feeling the relaxed atmosphere of the Amalfi Coast. It’s a Mediterranean paradise, with crystal-clear waters, charming hillside towns and cliffside villages, plenty of delicious food and wine, ...read more

image005

Inside or Outside When Sailing the ICW

Last April, my wife, Marjorie, and I decided to take our Tartan 4100, Meri, north to Maryland from her winter home in Hobe Sound, Florida. This, in turn, meant deciding whether to stay in the “Ditch” for the duration or go offshore part of the way. Although we had both been ...read more

MK1_30542

SailGP: There’s a New Sailing Series in Town

San Francisco was the venue of the biggest come-from-behind victory in the history of the America’s Cup when Oracle Team USA beat Emirates Team New Zealand in 2013, so it seems only fitting that the first American round of Larry Ellison’s new SailGP pro sailing series will be ...read more