The Summer Sailstice is here again! This Saturday, June 22, marks the longest day of the year and therefore, the day with the most possible hours of sunlight during which sailors can enjoy their boats with their fellow sailors.
In celebration, the writers and editors of SAIL will be splashing our boats (hopefully), cruising with our families and racing with our friends—and we want you to join us. Wherever you live and whatever you sail, get out on the water this Saturday to make the most of the sunshine. Then, tell us about it by posting your photos to our Facebook page.
Want to find a group to share in the celebration? At summersailstice.com, sailors from around the country have registered their Sailstice races and cruises. Here are some that sounded especially fun to us:
- A group of Eastern Iowa sailors will be traveling north and chartering sailboats around the Apostle Islands
- Hidden Harbor Yacht Club will host its annual “A–Whole” race up and back the California Delta: “no handicaps, no classes, no seriousness; just who has the fastest sailboat”
- Sailors in Hubbards Cove, Nova Scotia will cruise to Troop Islands for a raft-up: “Bring your instruments, food and beverages. If the weather is less than ideal we will raft up in Hubbards Cove.”
- Milwaukee-area sailors will take part in a poker run with five stops along Lake Michigan, culminating with a party at the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center
- In Annapolis, the Sailstice DelmarVa Rally will travel around the DelMarVa peninsula for seven days, offering sailors a chance to sail on the ocean in company
And remember, as noted in the Summer Sailstice’s Top 10 Reasons to Sign up, “20 years from now, when Summer Sailstice becomes a holiday weekend with Monday off, you’ll remember how you helped get it all started.”