Associate Editor, SAIL
SAIL is seeking an Associate Editor with 0-2 years experience, to work across our print and digital titles: SAIL Magazine, the New Sailboat Review print and digital editions, the SAIL Buyers Guide, Sailmagazine.com, the Under Sail and BoatWorks e-newsletters.
Duties will include:
· Working with the Art Director and Senior Editor to shepherd the magazine(s) through the production process
· Sourcing photographs and illustrations
· Copy editing and fact-checking
· Editing and writing everything from news stories to technical articles
· Assisting other editors with research and co-writing
· Assisting with the boat review program
· Writing copy for Sailmagazine.com and our e-newsletters
· Assisting with the video program
· Representing the magazine at boat and trade shows
The successful applicant will be an enthusiastic, physically fit sailor who is competent to safely operate a sailboat in the kinds of weather typically associated with coastal and offshore sailing. He/she will have a solid understanding of the dynamics of sailing and some knowledge of boat design and construction.
He/she will have a degree in journalism and/or be able to demonstrate acceptable writing and editing skills, though as this is an entry-level position, some training will be given. An interest in the technical aspects of boat operation is essential, as is a working knowledge of basic sailboat systems, equipment and maintenance.
SAIL is a Mac office. The successful applicant should be competent in Adobe InDesign and have a good knowledge of Photoshop, html, and Microsoft Office suite. Video filming and editing skills are a definite bonus. A working knowledge of social media platforms is essential. He/she will be self-motivated and able to balance multiple deadlines. Some domestic and foreign travel will be required, as will occasional weekend work.
Please send resumes and cover letters, together with writing samples, to Peter Nielsen—email@example.com.