Safe Anchoring Page 2
If youre dragging…
1. If the anchor starts to drag, start the engine, turn on the instruments and autopilot, and turn into the wind.
Visually check the courses to open water and compare them with the exit courses that you prepared after anchoring and taped to the steering pedestal.
2. Remain calm. Once I watched a dragging boat drive onto a reef simply because the helmsman panicked and lost his orientation.
3. Turn onto the safe heading if possible, but do not increase speed or alter course until youre sure of your present position.
4. Visually identify as many things around you as you can. Continously check your bearings and avoid all known hazards.
5. Once you know your position you can begin to implement your exit plan. If the plan calls for you to leave the anchorage, do so only if it is safe. If its not safe, you may have to consider powering around in a circle until daylight.